Re: [Tinycc-devel] Implementation of ISO C99 <iso646.h>

From: David A. Wheeler
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Implementation of ISO C99 <iso646.h>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 21:58:49 -0400 (EDT)

Rob Landley:
> Oh ick.
> Why doesn't it "#define begin {" and "#define end }" while it's at it?

Missed opportunity, I suppose.  I'll let you send that change request to ISO
:-).

> Is this really required by c99?

Yes.  It's defined in C99 section 7.9.  Section 7.1.2 paragraph 2 lists the
"standard headers" which includes  <iso646.h>.  Section 4 paragraph 5 says that
a conforming hosted implementation has to accept ANY strictly conforming
program.  And paragraph 4 says they can use the features defined in C99,
including iso646.h.

Officially, <iso646.h> is even required by C89. This header was added to C89 by
"Normative Addendum 1", which came out in 1995, _BEFORE_ C99 came out.  Info
here: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_standard_library>.

I don't think this is a big deal.  It's a small file, and people who don't want
to use it can ignore it.  And gcc includes it, so it's not like "no other
compiler supports it".

--- David A. Wheeler