Re: [Tinycc-devel] bounds checking bug?

From: kf
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] bounds checking bug?
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 13:25:19 +0300

I forgot to mention that this test case runs ok sometimes, about once
in ten runs...
I also tested this in another machine, also running FC5, with same results...
tcc was compiled with gcc 4.1.1, but the problem remains if I compile
it with itself.

On 5/10/07, Rob Landley <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thursday 10 May 2007 7:36 am, kf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a strange problem with free() with bounds checking turned
> on. Below is a small program that reproduces the problem. The program
> runs just fine if I don't use -b flag. My system is FC5. I'm using Rob
> Landley's tinycc-rl-1.0.0.tar.bz2 release.
>
> Here is the transcript:

I don't know why some mailers insert invisible whitespace (0xc2) into emails.
It's really annoying to cut and paste and then have to delete and recreate
all the whitespace because the compiler barfs trying to build it...

> $ cat t.c
> #include <stdlib.h>
>
> int     main (int argc, char **argv)
> {
>         char    * s;
>         size_t  n = 1000000;
>
>         s = malloc (n);
>         if (!s) { printf("Failed\n"); exit (1); }
>         free (s);
>
>         return 0;
> }
> $ tcc -b t.c; a.out
> Segmentation fault

Worked fine for me when I just tried it.

Wouldn't you have to go ./a.out?

> $ gdb a.out
> GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.3.0.0-1.122rh)
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...Using host
> libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

*shrug*  I haven't used windows in ages.

Can somebody else out there reproduce this?

> What's going on? Is it me, my system or tcc -b goofing up something?

Dunno.  I can't reproduce it on Ubuntu 6.06.

Rob