Re: [Tinycc-devel] Newer tinycc repository?

From: Simon 'corecode' Schubert
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Newer tinycc repository?
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:34:02 +0100

KHMan wrote:
> If there is a FLOSS project where commit access
> is *totally* open like a wiki, please let me know, it would be an
> interesting factoid to know.

Yes, git/repo.or.cz has this "mob" branch which is open for anonymous
pushing.  I like this idea and I think this could turn out to be a
beneficial development model.  It could also be horrible, sure.

I didn't want to bring up the topic of hg vs git, but there is a public
git hosting site (repo.or.cz) which helps making progress without
somebody dedicated providing the infrastructure.

> So -- how shall I say it -- "perhaps" someone might "declare" a
> Mercurial host (or equivalent) open for business in the near
> future, and maybe a wiki (or equivalent) as well. (I assume most
> on the list is not keen on Nick's SVN repo.) These are all
> community "action" items, and as far as I can tell, they all
> require some level of commitment from someone, somewhere. I was
> just wondering aloud when a commitment will appear. That's
> reasonable, right?

Sure, and I appreciate your interest.  Although we might not share the
opinion on how the access to the code should be structured, we are at
least performing some sort of community activity.  A meta-activity,
granted, but still.

Don't get me wrong, this is not personal.  It's just about the
conceptual model of code access.  You propose a single authority, I
propose a completely distributed model where maybe eventually there will
be one repo which a fraction of the users will consider as "current" or
"stable" "enough".

cheers
  simon