[Tinycc-devel] Re: TCC generating false positive?

From: grischka
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] Re: TCC generating false positive?
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 17:02:46 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
   Hi, grischka,

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0i ALSO detects a virus W32/Zhelatin.gen immediately as soon as hello_dll.exe is generated.

Using tcc.exe from the release:

$ tcc -v examples/dll.c -shared
tcc version 0.9.24
-> examples/dll.c
<- dll.def (1 symbols)
<- dll.dll (2048 bytes)

$ tcc -v examples/hello_dll.c dll.def
tcc version 0.9.24
-> examples/hello_dll.c
-> dll.def
<- hello_dll.exe (2048 bytes)

$ md5sum hello_dll.exe dll.dll
f86e5ff3d1b9cba96679f8b4654eb445 *hello_dll.exe
6a797c617d2559f6fb411d54330d7252 *dll.dll

Now to be sure that your file is not a virus (and that AV software
is stupid really) you'd just need to check their md5 sum on your
computer.

Btw. the md5 results are just the same when cross-compiled with tcc
on linux also which now again not so likely has a W32 virus.

I would think that it is unlikely that two different anti-malware makers
would detect a virus (on two separate machines) if there were not one.
I would think that they would not use the same detection strings.
Sounds a lot less like a false positive to me at this point.

If you don't know how to fix it, perhaps you can get some help from an
anti-virus maker.

Perhaps it just needs to be recompiled in a C compiler other than itself
to break the cycle of passing on the virus?

I like TCC but I am surely not interested in creating infected apps.
It's embarrassing.