Re: [Tinycc-devel] Newcomer to TCC (and C) with a couple ofquestions..

From: lostgallifreyan
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Newcomer to TCC (and C) with a couple ofquestions..
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 19:08:53 +0100

Kalle Olavi Niemitalo <address@hidden> wrote:
(03/04/2009 09:05)

>> And that means I'm not sure how I should write any GDI
>> oriented code if I want it to compile on Linux. I'd thought the
>> same might apply to both.
>
>Ah, you mentioned GDI resources in your original post, so I
>assumed you were intending the program to run on Windows only.
>If it needs to run on Linux too, then you could perhaps use
>Winelib <http://www.winehq.org/site/winelib>, which I believe
>implements the Windows GDI functions on Linux.  Alternatively,
>use some cross-platform graphics API such as GDK
><http://library.gnome.org/devel/gdk/> or SDL
><http://www.libsdl.org/> or even OpenGL; at least these three
>should be usable from C without C++, and thus presumably with
>TCC.  However, if you are already familiar with GDI and have a
>lot of code that uses it, then switching to a different API may
>require too much work.

I'll look at those three (GDK, SDL, OpenGL). It's likely that I'll just go with
wxDev_C++ if I like it, as it uses wxWidgets, but I do like the idea of using C
rather than C++, if I can learn to make a program with GUI and standard
controls using TCC and other small clean systems, that's how I want it. I don't
have a lot of code to port to anything, but that's why I want to establish a
course early, so I don't find myself in that position. (It's why I won't touch
.net, as that looks like a bad choice to me). While I'll be coding for Win32 as
I chose to stay with W98, I don't want to isolate myself too much.