Re: [Tinycc-devel] tcc on x86_64

From: shinichiro . h
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] tcc on x86_64
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 21:02:14 +0900

> I had done something like this (for i386), but then decided it wasn't
> worth the effort.  It elliminated unneeded jumps, removed the "sub 0,
> esp" instruction, and used short jumps when possible, even for the
> conditional ones.  Code size was reduced by some 16% (I used original
> tcc source for the test).  I didn't test the compilation speed but it
> felt the same.

Thanks for the info. I guessed that one of the significant relatively
easy optimization would be eliminating use of stacks. For example, TCC
uses stacks even for the simplest function like

int f(int x) {
    return x;
}

I guessed that memory operations would be expensive even with CPU
cache, but I'm not sure as I performed no experiments like you...