Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re: Simple Registry Key Create and Write. Multi Error

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re: Simple Registry Key Create and Write. Multi Errors in Tiny C
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 22:40:40 +0800

On 8/10/2010 10:10 PM, ED GROSSHEIM wrote:
8-52 am  08-10-10
Kein,
In this case I am trying to have a small ".exe starter", all it
will do is start console applications in a custom console window
(applications produced by full blown compilers).

Use MinGW, it's mature and used by a lot of people. A "hello, world!" program using puts(), stripped, is only a shade over 8KB in size.

tcc is small, but since I would call it an experimental compiler, things are more likely to go wrong. Let me repeat, tcc is an *experimental* *compiler*, it is not a production compiler. So you need to be able to self-troubleshoot if you use tcc. Besides, tcc's code generation is primitive and lacks most optimizations. Your executable size will be smaller with MinGW.

When I added the registry functions to my CreateProcess file, the
.exe size went from 10 kb to 30 kb. I want my ".exe starter" to be
small.

No problem I think. I did a UTF-8 file I/O library for Lua, it came up to a 44KB DLL, stripped. And there's always upx, but I prefer the fastest possible start time and have stopped using that too.

I will use it all the time for console apps, where I want to
control font and font size.
[snip]

That said, if you are not distributing whatever you are doing commercially, I would suggest that you run a Unix-line command line environment like Cygwin. Saves tons of trouble, best thing ever for multi-platform people. Also, MinGW is going to have a nice console/terminal program soon too, so that is an alternative. This is relevant if you don't need Win32-specific console features.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)