Re: [Tinycc-devel] switching from lurker to mob committer, with lots of

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] switching from lurker to mob committer, with lots of patches ready
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 19:01:28 +0100

Joe Soroka wrote:
Hello TinyCCers,

Hi,

My initial goal, way back when, was to compile dietlibc and busybox
and eventually binutils and gcc.  So most of the patches come out of
that - adding features that gcc and gas have that tinycc does not.  A
smaller number of the patches are legitimate bug-fixes, but they're
peppered haphazardly into the commit-stream.  I'd rather not sort them
all into priority bins because I'm afraid I'll just give up during the
sorting.  I'd like to just post them chronologically as they were
written.

Your patches are welcome.

As to your first patch: Git suggests a certain format for the commit
message, like this:

  A short subject line of up to 60 characters

  Possibly followed by an empty line and some explanation below.
  This explanation should have line-breaks after about 60-80
  characters.

The first line limit is to make it fit on the summary page:
http://repo.or.cz/w/tinycc.git?a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/mob
and the line-breaks are to make it readable in tools like 'gitk'.

Also we do prefix the summary line with the affected module when
appropriate, like for example:

  tccasm: accept multiple symbols for .globl

Anyway, your first patch was of course easy to read, no problem.
For less obvious features or bug fixes it might make sense to add
a short description of the bug or some web link to the feature
explanation or such, in the commit log.  Not too much, just that
you would know what it was about when you read it after a year or so.

Thanks,

--- grischka