[Tinycc-devel] Using tcc for C development on Android tablet

From: Mason
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] Using tcc for C development on Android tablet
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:04:54 +0200

Hello tcc devs,

For a while, I've been looking for a way to write (and test)
small programs in C on an Android tablet. Recently, I found
an app (based on tcc) which allows exactly that, and I started
wondering how it is done.

Android platforms are mostly based on ARM or MIPS CPUs (though
Intel has now ported Android to x86). I don't think tcc has ARM
and MIPS code generators, right? So I assume that the C code is
not actually compiled into machine code, but instead interpreted
"on the fly" using tcc's script mode. Would that seem like a
reasonable guess?

On to the app itself. Since it runs on Android, then either tcc
has been ported to Java so it can run on any Android system as
byte code, OR it has been compiled as a C++ app using the native
SDK (but then there would have to be one for ARM and one for MIPS).
Which is more likely? And did I miss other possibilities?

--
Regards.