Re: [Tinycc-devel] Patch to correct using incomplete types in structures

From: Amine Najahi
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Patch to correct using incomplete types in structures/unions.
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 15:30:13 +0200

Hi Thomas,

I have two remarks though. First of all, I'd put the first if in the innermost
while, since you could have a structure defined like this:

struct foo {
  int a[], b;
};

which would not be correct but would pass your test because there would be
only one execution of the outermost loop. Since it doesn't cost more to do it
that way, let's do it.

You are definitely right, I corrected it in my commit.

Then one small nitpick, I prefer the message gcc gives when a flexible array
is not at the end of a structure:

"flexible array member not at end of struct»

whereas your current patch says "invalid type for $struct_name". The type this
message is about is not invalid, it just can't be placed after a flexible
array. So I'd rather go with the exact gcc's message or "field '$field_name1'
cannot be placed after the flexible array member '$field_name2'".

You're right again, that is what I intented to do, but ended up copy pasting the
message and forgetting to change it.

If you can change this, test that all tests still work then you can commit it.

I committed the changes to the mob branch.

Thanks a lot for your work on this Amine. I hope you don't mind my small
criticism, I really appreciate your work.

I don't mind at all. My knowledge of tcc is almost null and your remarks were
pertinent.

Amine