Re: [Tinycc-devel] x86_64: shared libs

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] x86_64: shared libs
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 21:39:56 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014, Aharon Robbins wrote:

Testing appreciated (hi Arnold :) ).

This has certainly improved things; two tests that used to fail now
pass, although two more continue to fail.  If you want to test yourself,
here's the recipe:

        git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/gawk.git
        cd gawk
        git checkout gawk-4.1-stable
        ./bootstrap.sh          # due after clone or pull
        ./configure CC=tcc && make
        make -k check           # filefuncs and functab4 tests should fail

This is really great progress, thanks!

Thanks for the report. The cause is that libtcc1.a needs to contain position independend code as well (so that it may be linked into shared libraries). I've simply added -fPIC for compiling all components of it, which should be fine no matter if it's compiled by gcc or tcc.

In any case the default config from tcc (mob branch as of ea2805f0) can now build gawk-4.1-stable without shared lib regressions (i.e. filefuncs and functab4 now work). I do see other tests fail as well: backbigs1, backsmalls1, mbfw1, mbprintf1 and mbprintf4; which seem to be locale dependend, but they work when compiling with gcc on my system. But seems unrelated to shared libs issues.

Ciao,
Michael.