Re: [Tinycc-devel] Build glibc

From: Sylvain BERTRAND
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Build glibc
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 14:45:23 +0200

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 10:14:01PM -0500, Evan Langlois wrote:
> Why not just edit the configure script to remove those tests?  Its a
> shell script.  Make it do whatever you want.

You are jocking or you are quite unreasonable. We all know that those scripts
are generated using the horrible autoconf or the ultra kludge which is cmake
(c++ erk!!!)... they are not made to be read by humans. You have to install the
SDKs tools, at least the autotools, in order to modify the different
configure.acS makefile.inS (I don't recall gcc uses automake), and then
regenerate the configureS/makefileS. It means first to learn the autotools (you
could become mad in the process), and then tune the massive and disgusting
configure.acS/makefile.inS (to clean yourself, have a look at ffmpeg configure
script which is a beauty of simplicity and elegance). I say that because I'm
currently building my own gnu/linux from scratch, and I'm in the dirty mess of
compiling gcc (4.7.4) and libgcc with an empty system in order to "cross"
compile glibc (the official LFS won't do).

Additionnaly, compiling the glibc with tinycc you will loose most inline
assembly parts. Actually, I have not benchmarked the cost of C function epilog
and prolog for significant libc functions and mecanisms (no inline atomic
xchg...).

--
Sylvain