[Tinycc-devel] GAS symbols

From: Vladimir Vissoultchev
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] GAS symbols
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 19:01:25 +0200

Hi,

I am trying to compile something very similar to `gcc -S` output (like in this question) and noticed that TCC does not support labels starting with a dot ('.')

Reading GAS documentation I noticed that they had the following text for valid identifiers:

> Symbols

> A symbol is one or more characters chosen from the set of all letters (both upper and lower case), digits and the three characters _.$. No

> symbol may begin with a digit. Case is significant. There is no length limit: all characters are significant. Symbols are delimited by

> characters not in that set, or by the beginning of a file (since the source program must end with a newline, the end of a file is not a

> possible symbol delimiter). See Symbols.

So it seems labels can indeed start with and contain dots. Am I correct in understanding this text?

Also, what is the polite way to commit in mob branch? Do you practice sending patches to the list beforehand so that anyone can chime in with problems spotted?

I'm sorry my first commits were out of nowhere and then had to revert some rogue changes that broke some tests. Now I have the tests working under MinGW.

cheers,

</wqw>