Re: [Tinycc-devel] Largish mob update from me

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Largish mob update from me
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 02:07:00 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016, grischka wrote:

Therfor before we change assumptions (which we clearly do as soon as we start to use 'nocode_wanted' for optimization purposes) I'd really like to see the below working under all tests and everything except fire in the computer:

   ST_FUNC void g(int c)
   {
       int ind1;
       if (nocode_wanted)
           tcc_error("internal: code generated but nocode_wanted");
       ind1 = ind + 1;

True. The use of nocode_wanted (and even more so my extension to suppress code generation for optimization) is somewhat fragile until the above works. But OTOH this "misuse" mostly works right now :) Generating jumpy code (i.e. in conditionals and for top-level statements) as well as gv/gvtst is most susceptible currently to trigger an assert like the above as reflected in one of my added comments:

            /* XXX This doesn't handle nocode_wanted correctly at all.
               It unconditionally calls gv/gvtst and friends.  That's
               the case for many of the expr_ routines.  Currently
               that should generate only useless code, but depending
               on other operand handling this might also generate
               pointer derefs for lvalue conversions whose result
               is useless, but nevertheless can lead to segfault.

               Somewhen we need to overhaul the whole nocode_wanted
               handling.  */

(Though I meanwhile I was a bit overstating the problem with gv. But gvtst is a problem)

Ciao,
Michael.