Re: [Tinycc-devel] Ready for Release 0.9.27

From: avih
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Ready for Release 0.9.27
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 20:27:20 +0000 (UTC)

> from the windows headers what is necessary to compile the hello_win
> example.  It's just that I like that criterion because it is well defined.

IMHO a much more useful definition would be that it's self hosting including all the tests (using the makefile and a shell - e.g. busybox, or, more realistically, MSYS2). I didn't yet check whether it's still the case, but it was so before the recent deletions.

Nevertheless, while I agree that it's arguable whether or not tcc should maintain more than minimal set of headers, this effort was already put in. By removing these headers now (and the others few months ago) tcc users on windows are only losing. If and when the windows headers generate too much mailing list noise - then would be a good time to split it into its own repo. AFAIK so far this hasn't happened.

By
On Wednesday, February 8, 2017 10:10 PM, grischka <address@hidden> wrote:

avih wrote:
> It's not really clear to me why you keep removing windows headers. Now, and also the previous time few months ago when you removed a lot of network related headers.
> I know for a fact that some things which use network and built cleanly with stock tcc stopped building few months ago due to this, and now probably more things would not build.
> It was at the repo anyway, it worked, deleting them doesn't make the repo smaller since it's at the history anyway, so why make life harder for users who want to use tcc without external mingw headers which possibly require modifications, which I presume the ones you removed already have this effort put into them?

IMO it is not a reasonable goal for tinycc to "maintain" windows
headers in the sense of completeness or patching the files.  If
anything they should be replaced by newer versions taken directly
from mingw or mingw-w64, preferably unchanged.

If wanted a more complete or newer set could be put as a separate
pack on the savannah download folder provided that someone puts one
together.

Other than that we have the standard ansi headers, and in addition
from the windows headers what is necessary to compile the hello_win
example.  It's just that I like that criterion because it is well
defined.

Regards,

--- grischka