Re: [Tinycc-devel] Request: __attribute__((vector_size))

From: Alexander Nicholi
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Request: __attribute__((vector_size))
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 23:11:24 -0500

> Technically it wouldn't be too much work to semantically support that

How involved would it be? My mainstay with work is writing C, but my experience with compiler internals is limited.

We’re interested in having this syntax, as we use TCC for quick-iteration builds of our game engine. As we may end up using SIMD in the near future, being able to continue development with TCC would be a boon for time.

We understand the relationship TCC bridges between simplicity and speed, and have been using it to make quick debug builds for this reason.

> but the values would need to be committed to memory (instead of vector registers) and regarded as constant sized arrays (at which point the function call ABI would be different from the respective native ABI, which, again, would be hard to fix without proper support for vector insns in the backends).

With its lack of optimisation flags, would it not be unreasonable to expect performant code anyway? This should be acceptable given TCC’s niche. I think the basic behaviour should be enough, at least for purposes like ours.