[Tinycc-devel] Building Tor with tcc dynamically [was: error: Unknown re

From: John Scott
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] Building Tor with tcc dynamically [was: error: Unknown relocation type for got: 23 with -static]
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 12:09:39 -0400

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 11:16:03 AM EDT Michael Matz wrote:
> > Why is it not recommended? Because it is not well supported or just
> > because
> > shared lib, by ideology, is generally preferred?
>
> I think the comment is indeed about the general recommendation to not link
> statically.

I recall now seeing a TODO file in Git that said static linking still needed to
be implemented. That's clearly not the case anymore, but gave me the
impression it was still experimental.

Except for a small change I had to make, dynamic Tor almost built fine. I had
to make this change to Tor [1] related to inconsistently mixing enums and ints
in declarations. As a C novice I was planning on sending this upstream, but I
think tcc's TODO said this might be a quirk to be fixed. I'd appreciate knowing
where the issue lies if someone more knowledgeable would look at it.

Tor also needed uint128_t, which though it isn't required by any standard
Autoconf didn't bother checking for, and the build didn't fail until the end.
That I will suggest to them.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/jscott/tor/-/commit/f3eb2cef