Re: [Tinycc-devel] Building Tor with tcc dynamically [was: error: Unknow

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Building Tor with tcc dynamically [was: error: Unknown relocation type for got: 23 with -static]
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 16:09:03 +0200 (CEST)

Hello John,

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020, John Scott wrote:

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 11:16:03 AM EDT Michael Matz wrote:
Why is it not recommended? Because it is not well supported or just
because
shared lib, by ideology, is generally preferred?

I think the comment is indeed about the general recommendation to not link
statically.

I recall now seeing a TODO file in Git that said static linking still needed to be implemented. That's clearly not the case anymore, but gave me the impression it was still experimental.

Except for a small change I had to make, dynamic Tor almost built fine. I had to make this change to Tor [1] related to inconsistently mixing enums and ints in declarations. As a C novice I was planning on sending this upstream, but I think tcc's TODO said this might be a quirk to be fixed. I'd appreciate knowing where the issue lies if someone more knowledgeable would look at it.

While the change for Tor seems a good idea irrespective of the error message from TCC (purely from a code cosmetic perspective) it is correct ISO C in usual implementations (when an enum containing a negative member is compatible with 'int'). IOW TCC gave the error message incorrectly.

A related error message when the respective function would have been redeclared with type 'unsigned' (but same enum at the other decl) is correct, though.

All fixed in latest mob.  Many thanks for the report!

Ciao,
Michael.