Re: [Tinycc-devel] tinycc manpage

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] tinycc manpage
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 01:43:59 +0300

Sudipto Mallick:

> When I compiled a recent version of tinycc from mob, I
> looked at the source of the manpage. I don't like it.

What did not you like?

> I learnt about the mdoc(7) format for writing man pages
> and thought to use that format for the tcc man page. The
> rewrite is attached.

The processed result is attached. While processing, GNU
Troff reported the following warnings:

   mdoc warning: A .Bl directive has no matching .El (#287)
   mdoc warning: Empty input line #376
   mdoc warning: Empty input line #387
   mdoc warning: Empty input line #392
   mdoc warning: Empty input line #394
   mdoc warning: Empty input line #409

> What do you think about this mdoc formatted manual page?

I disike lines longer than 78 characters and lack of
vertical spacing between logical sections. You can do them
like this:

   end of previous secgtion
   .
   .Sh SYNOPSIS
   .
   text text text.

> Please give suggestion to complete it.

I personally prefer the original -man package to -mdoc...