Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyCC -std=c2x support?

From: Clive Tovero
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyCC -std=c2x support?
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 18:06:15 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Christian and list,

>> Since when do we tell other people what to do and until when, in tinycc?
> I'm sorry about that. You're right it is not my role.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and suggestions.  Here are some of mine (which overlap some of what you mentioned):

Short: In general, keep doing what they have been doing on the compiler itself.  Getting a list of project goals, priorities, and a policy on patches would help everyone.  (If anarchy is the policy, that would be nice to know as well. ;)  Consider an updated release.

Long:

My use of tcc includes:

1) Dynamic code compilation and execution for geometric modeling
2) R&D on reduced power consumption computing
3) Further study on compiler design/implementation, with a focus on minimalism
4) Work on compile-time meta-programming and OO with C

I'm fairly sure 1 and 4 are going to require me to fork or rewrite tcc in a production system, due to code size/complexity increases--it would approach MediumCC.  Item 3 is an important use for me, though, with the existing tcc.  It is great to have a compact, comprehensible compiler like tcc as a model for study.  Tcc is used in at least one minimal, reproducible bootstrapping project (GNU Mes, which mentions having to use a patched tcc--why I don't currently know).

Tcc could have a role in Item 2, even substantially "as-is".  One focus of tcc seems to be on compile-time performance, which is important during development for energy efficiency and shorter build turn-around-time.  A compiler which generates more highly-optimized code could be used for released software.

Currently, my 3D modeling software does textual C code generation from an external, pre-optimized AST, which is then dynamically compiled and run with an unpatched tcc.  The dynamic code generation feature of tcc has been an very valuable feature for my prototype of this project.

My suggestion of a list of priorities would be (in increasing order):

A) Fix known bugs before adding new features
B) Add regression tests for (A)
C) Work towards more complete standard compliancy
D) Add tests for demonstration of (C)
E) Keep it simple, keep it small, keep compilation time fast
F) Compatibility with other projects, (my opinionated list):
   a) the Linux kernel (version?)
   b) other tiny compilers like Mes or Femtolisp
   c) musl
   d) C container template library
G) Additional external (gcc, MS) extensions, especially for platform support, remembering (E)

Having a (not necessarily strict) list of priorities could reduce the workload of the devs/maintainers and reduce uncertainty when considering patches.