Re: [Tinycc-devel] Can a biggener (and idiot) like me read and understan

From: rempas
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Can a biggener (and idiot) like me read and understand TCC's backend so I can create my own frontend with it?
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 22:08:12 +0100 (CET)

28 Ιαν 2022, 22:35 Από ssofroni@cytanet.com.cy:

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2022 20:25:08 +0100
> Niklas Rosencrantz <niklasro@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried to read the Tiger Book with examples. I tried to learn Bison. I
>> tried to learn Lemon Parser. I could not write the grammar for a for-loop.
>> I don't know if that's because if stupid, if it wasn't well explained or if
>> it's difficult.
>>
>> What I could learn from was to take the instruction sheet for MIPS assembly
>> and find out how statements in C can translate to assembly. That was easy
>> to learn. What a real compiler will generate is always 5 times more than
>> what the instruction manual says it should translate to. I tried with GCC
>> and a MIPS compiler, looked at the generated assembly which was very
>> different from what I could run directly from e.g. the MARS MIPS
>> environment by writing it by hand.
>>
>> I'm out on deep water but this was my experience with trying to learn. I
>> found that TCC is very good for learning and trying ideas.
>>
>> /Niklas
>>

> I would advice you to start with this
> https://craftinginterpreters.com/contents.html first.
>
> The rest will follow before you know it.

Thanks! However, I don't understand how this will help me. I mean, I don't even
want to create an intepreter to begin with. So this has nothing to do with what
I want to make. Unless you are referring to the frontend so in this case, It
will probably be a good idea to read this book. Or maybe I should make an
intepreter in the end? Hmmmmm....