Re: [Tinycc-devel] Can a biggener (and idiot) like me read and understan

From: rempas
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Can a biggener (and idiot) like me read and understand TCC's backend so I can create my own frontend with it?
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 13:27:36 +0100 (CET)

29 Ιαν 2022, 12:10 Από eligis@orange.fr:

> I suggest you start with something simple:
>

> A language that implement 4 arithmetic integer operations, has integer
> variables, allows to define functions and includes print function as library
> function.
>

> Chose the syntax you like and start to write you own compiler that generate
> intermediate internal code, then choose a backend (for example C) that
> generates code corresponding to your intermediate code.
>

> You’ll learn of lot of things and you’ll get 80% of the knowledge you’ll need
> to write serious things.
>

> This globally how works my Lisp compiler from Lisp files up to standalone
> executable.
>

> See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenLisp#Compiler

Hi! Thank you for your answer but I really have a hard time to understand what
you are saying In the second paragraph.

When saying to choose a backend the generates code, you mean a compiler right?
Also, how will this generate code corresponding to mine? Isn't the code
specific to the backend/compiler? And some compilers (like TCC) imidiatly
create object files or assembly and don't generate an Intermediate
representation file. But even If I could make an IR that would mimic the IR of
another compiler (let's say Clang/LLVM), how would this help me understand how
this translates this to a sequence of bytes and how the instructions are
represented as bytes?