tlf-devel

Re: can we benefit from N1MM's UDC files?

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: can we benefit from N1MM's UDC files?
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 08:05:04 -0600

* On 2019 19 Dec 03:46 -0600, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> N1MM has a large collection of so called UDC (User Defined Contest) files,
> see:
>
> https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/mmfiles/categories/userdefinedcontests
>
> They are packed into a zip file which contains a udc file with a description
> of the contest, but there are also member lists and other stuff. The udc
> files contains contest and scoring information. I have looked into it
> quickly and at first it seems complicated but I am sure it is well
> documented and there also seems to be a dedicated editor for udc files (in
> exe format of course).
>
> We could benefit from this large library, although I don't know what the
> licensing issues might be when including them with tlf.

Sounds interesting and potentially useful, Joop.

I'll just say this about distribution, I think that if the library
of files proves useful and we can build support in Tlf for it, then that
should be sufficient and just provide a link for the user to download
the files, if desired.  This is kind of along the same lines as CTY.DAT
and SCP files which get quickly out of date and that we should likely do
a better job of pointing users toward their download sites rather than
carry outdated versions in our repository.

73, Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB