tlf-devel

Re: Hamlib keying

From: Thomas Beierlein
Subject: Re: Hamlib keying
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 07:52:16 +0200

Hi Christoph,

there were some request for that feature from time to time. Iirc the
last time someone told us there was some cwdaemon like program talking
to the rig via hamlib.

But anyway - your work looks promising. What most users will miss is
the ability to abort the message. It would be good to have a
solution for that problem before merging it in.

> One problem I have is the baroque handing of CW speed in Tlf:
>
> #define CW_SPEEDS       "06121416182022242628303234363840424446485060"
>                         /*< speed string with 2 chars each (in WPM) */

I did some search in historic versions of TLF (0.9.10, 0.9.38). The
code above is an ancient left over from former times. (Maybe original
author Rein was a BASIC fan - quite a lot of operations were done as
string manipulations). See it as just a weird coded table.

Having the speed settings as a table allows for a nonlinear stepping -
heavily used in 0.9.10, now only seen on both ends. A plain up/dwn
by +/- 2wpm would loose that ability.

Maybe we should extend here and allow the user to set its own speed
stepping. Any thoughts on that?

73, de Tom DL1JBE

--
"Do what is needful!"