tramp-devel

Re: tramp (2.5.1.3 nil/nil); emacs-28.0.50: Can't copy a 1.4 MB file wit

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: tramp (2.5.1.3 nil/nil); emacs-28.0.50: Can't copy a 1.4 MB file with the plinkx method
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 23:44:29 +0200

Hi Michael

> Btw, if you have a recent SSH client on your Windows machine, you could
> also try the Tramp sshx or scpx methods. Some weeks ago, I've made some
> changes to support them, OpenSSH 7.9 shall be sufficient. See
> <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/openssh/openssh_overview>.

On my working Laptop I wanted to get first ssh from MSYS2 running, so I
haven't ssh from MS in the path at the moment.  Unfortunately (MSYS2)
ssh isn't working with Tramp (in an MSYS2 terminal ssh works,
though). It says for emacs-28 -Q:

Tramp: Opening connection nil for dieter@wawa using ssh...failed
Tramp: Opening connection nil for dieter@wawa using ssh...
Tramp failed to connect.  If this happens repeatedly, try
    ‘M-x tramp-cleanup-this-connection’

And an *tramp/ssh...* buffer appears BUT this buffer is not permanent
and disappears as soon as I type something or use the mouse!

I made a screenshot and it says:

Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
ssh_askpass: exec(/usr/lib/ssh/ssh-askpass): No such file or directory
Permission denied, please try again.

I think ssh-askpass is not available for MSYS2, neither from the
ezwinports.  Or could Tramp use pinentry from gpg as a fallback?

> C:\Users\albinus>ssh -V
> OpenSSH_for_Windows_8.1p1, LibreSSL 3.0.2
> which might be the latest version offered by Microsoft, IIRC.

I've got a Workstation in my office (7.7p1 for our most recent Win10),
there I could test sshx and scpx if the version 7.7 is good enough.  Are
these methods already available for the emacs-28 branch or do I need
master?

Thank you

      Dieter