[Traverso-devel] Some remarks / missing features

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: [Traverso-devel] Some remarks / missing features
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:50:19 +0200

Hello list,

When using traverso I had some ideas for improvements in future releases. It's
not thought out yet, more like brain storming, but I have a feeling that these
things should be concidered when implementing the routing part:

1. Monitoring: As soon as a track is armed for recording, the channel should be
'opened', that means the audio stream should be piped through the channel
(including all plugins etc.), but just not recorded to disk. The VU metre
should be active in order to show that a signal is coming in, and to allow to
set the levels correctly. In most 'grown up' DAW programmes this behaviour is
switchable (monitoring on/off). I don't know why, but it seems to be important
to be able to switch it off. Probably to avoid feedbacks when setting up
microphones etc., so as not to have to disarm each track.

1.1 Playback / Record: I think we should distinguish between playing back and
recording. In playback mode all tracks are played back, regardless of whether
they are armed or not. In recording mode armed tracks should record and
disarmed tracks should play back as usual. This will allow to implement
'overdubbing' funcionality with 'punch-in' and 'punch-out' markers easily. If
someone is not familiar with these features, let me know and I will elaborate
on it.

2. It would probably be a good thing to have a VU meter on each track. Once we
have subgroups and aux busses it would be easier to follow the signal path
visually, and also to see how the levels evolve after going through various
plugins, splitting, merging etc.

3. According to [1] almost all swh-plugins are ported to LV2! Very nice!

Comments are welcome.
Have a nice day.
Nic

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/194718/