Re: [Traverso-devel] Export Dialog

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Export Dialog
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 17:37:52 +0200

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the new CD export functionality!  I'll try to get the
windows ASPI driver built into the installer soon...

You're welcome, I had a lot of fun playing with it ;-)
(And most of the credit goes to Nicola who coded all the Marker and toc exporting stuff !! )

And it would be really cool if you can get it working on windows flawless too, so the end user won't need to look for hard to find 3th party installers...

While playing with the Export dialog, here are some ideas I had for
ways to improve it:

- pull common settings out of tabbed area (Normalize, this song vs. all songs)

Yeah, I've been thinking about this too, but where too place those ?

- add Cancel button while exporting/burning (with "Are you sure"
dialog if burning has already started.)

There is the abort button now that does this ?
And yes, there should be a QMessageBox::warning() added to avoid unwanted aborts...

- disable Start button while burning!

Sure, isn't it disabled yet?
I think it'll be most clean to use a function to enable/disable all gui elements when export/burn starts...

Hmm, if it is hidden but not disabled, that would explain the 'fix' from Nicola in cvs that warns about a running process in render_cd() (without returning, so things still can be messed up hehe)
It indeed should _not_ be possible to call render_cd() if one is in progress....

- show length of audio CD in the dialog, update on_change of This
song/All songs

A nice horizontal indicator would be cool indeed.
My last changes to cvs make it easy to calculate the cd length by using the create_cdrdao_toc() function.

- when pressing Start, tell users about toc errors instead of
exporting! (anything to check for besides audio too long for the CD?)

cdrdao has a function to check the toc file, I planned to use that, besides of first checking if the length is too long for a standard cd....

- make dialog smaller (it's currently expanded vertically more than necessary)

Nah, no need for that. On my computer it was about the height of one row of buttons, and if you add a length indicator, or something else you'll have to change it again and again and again and .... :)
Iirc, it's as high now as is needed to display the export tab correctly...

Please let me know what you think of these ideas, and if you want me
to work on any of them.

If you have time to work on those, sure!

I'll only start coding again from tuesday, with strong focus on stabalizing the resourcesmanager, and resources bin view, recording clip has been cleaned up nicely, but I want it rock solid for the next release, so that will be my first target....

Let's try to polish existing features as much as is needed, without introducing too much new features that potentially contain new bugs :)
(Yeah I know, it was me adding again a new feature one week before release, but hey, lots of work done on marker/toc export without the ability to burn a cd... That's a no go.... :D )

Have a nice day,