[Traverso-devel] plugin window slow to load: Update

From: ben levitt
Subject: [Traverso-devel] plugin window slow to load: Update
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 19:20:57 -0700

I just timed it.

The new plugin window takes my 1.6Ghz centrino laptop 67 seconds to
start up. (!!!)

If I comment out the line in LV2Plugin::get_plugin_info() that calls
slv2_port_get_class(plugin, slvport), it goes back to taking under 2
seconds.

This call actually queries the db, which could explain the slowdown,
except that slv2_plugin_get_name() also queries the db, and it doesn't
seem to slow me down.  Strange.

I downloaded, built, and installed the version of librasqal that comes
with feisty.
(http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/r/rasqal/rasqal_0.9.13.orig.tar.gz)
I undid my changes to LV2Plugin::get_plugin_info(), and rebuilt traverso.

Fixed!  Now the window takes < 2 seconds to start up.

But, this may mean that the plugins are going to be slow to start up
for all Edgy users?
Edgy comes with librasqal 0.9.12.  Feisty 0.9.13.
Apparently we should require/recommend 0.9.13.

We should add this to a troubleshooting list somewhere.

Ben