Re: [Traverso-devel] Fade Shapes

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Fade Shapes
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 08:38:23 +0200

Hi Ben,

> For the curve shapes: Bended, S-Shaped, Long, I was thinking that we
> should rename them so that Bended doesn't sound so similar to the Bend
> parameter of a fade.

That's a good point. I wasn't happy with the names at all, and I quite like
your suggestions.

> One option I thought of is to call them: Elliptical, Sinusoidal,
> Parabolic.
>
> Except I'm not sure if those are precisely correct.
>
> I think Elliptical (Bended) fades actually do represent a portion of
> an ellipse curve.  Is that correct?
>
> I'm pretty sure that S-shaped fades are not actually sinusoidal, so
> that could be left as S-Shaped.
>
> Are long fades parabolic?
>
> So, maybe Elliptical, S-shaped, and .... Long?  Parabolic?

I think elliptical, sinusoidal and parabolic are OK. It's not totally accurate,
but the appearance is the same, and the terms are descriptive enough to get an
idea about the shape. (Btw. S-Shaped with bending = 1.0 is more like tangential
;-) )

Cheers
Nic