vampire-public

[Vampire-public] Daemon Mode

From: Maxime Biais
Subject: [Vampire-public] Daemon Mode
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 23:27:44 +0200

The Vampire daemon mode is far to be complete and useful, so I think the
first release of Vampire will not include it.

The major interest of the daemon mode is to centralize all the tests on
only one scheduler when several Vampire are liable to run on the same
network. The purpose is to have the best tarball repartition. This
advantage is compensated when Vampire runs in standalone mode by the load
average calculation (normally if an host is running a test, the load
average will be affected and Vampire will not use this host)

There is some 'problems' (a lack of features in fact) when you use
the daemon mode:
* Not yet 'dropzone', so if you run : "vampire -a check mop.tar.bz2"
  mop.tar.bz2 is local to the host running the daemon.
* Logs are written where the daemon is running
* Anybody can modify (add/remove) the test queue
* You can't add new host class from a client

That is because the daemon mode is mutilated and because we have other
priorities I want to remove it (or prevent the user to not use it) for
the first release.

--
Maxime Biais