vampire-public

[Vampire-public] Vampire changes and evolution

From: Nicolas Burrus
Subject: [Vampire-public] Vampire changes and evolution
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 16:10:03 +0100

The last few days, I've been working on Vampire to remplace the old version of
Vampire running at the LRDE.

I've made a consequent bundle of changes, which I'm currently cleaning for CVS
inclusion.  I hope I will have finished to commit my changes soon.

I have a lot of remarks too :)

Here are the main changes I've made so far:

(Internal debug)

- - Verbosity handled using the logging module of Python library.  It supports
several levels, etc. and is thread safe.  It resolves the problem I've had
while debugging threads.

(Scheduler)

- - Simplify the Scheduler by using only one synchonized queue (from Python
Queue class, thread safe) of "events".

- - Rename and remove useless lock in order to simplify the debugging.

- - Do not consider the client/server mode, as they are not ready yet.

- - Rename some files.

(Concerning logs)

- - Divide the log analysers into a "parsing" part, which returns tests results
in Python structures (dictionaries, list), and an output part which select
the pertinent information.

- - Modify the HTML output so that we have one html file per test.  Olena build
output is too big to have all results on the same page.

- - Update the text summary logger.

(Host configuration file)

- - Support the notion of vars which are not environnment vars, but just values
to be replaced elsewhere in the configuration file.  This enables some
factorizations.

(Tarball configuration file)

- - Support class restrictions for vars (only for vars currently) using regular
expressions (see previous email on the mailing list).

CVS is here to help us controlling versions, so if you see weird changes or if
you disagree with some changes, do not hesitate to discuss them, we can
revert patches!

Remaining work before release 0.2 (in my opinion)
=====================================

* Remove client/server code.  I think we'd better add it later, when vampire
fundations will be finalized and intensively tested.  In addition, the
communication protocol should use TCP stream instead of UDP ones, since we
cannot afford data loss.

* Uniformize the naming scheme.  Especially class attribute names are often
inconsistent between files, there are still some french names, etc.

* Cleanup some code.  Some code seems clumsy and should be cleaned.

* The documentation should be cleaned and completed to allow external people
to use vampire, at least its basic features.

I think I'll have the time to do some work before the end of this week-end,
but then I will start my internship, and I'll have much less time.

Please let me know if you think you will have some time to work on Vampire, I
know that you have many more important things to do.