vampire-public

Re: [Vampire-public] Vampire changes and evolution

From: Maxime Biais
Subject: Re: [Vampire-public] Vampire changes and evolution
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 21:29:27 +0100

Fri, 9 Jan 2004 16:10:03 +0100
Nicolas Burrus <address@hidden> wrote:
> (Internal debug)
>
> - - Verbosity handled using the logging module of Python library.  It
> supports several levels, etc. and is thread safe.  It resolves the
> problem I've had while debugging threads.

I didn't know this module, I just read the documentation
(http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-logging.html) and it's seems
to be useful because of the old 'logging system' was really buggy with
multiple threads.

> (Scheduler)
>
> - - Simplify the Scheduler by using only one synchonized queue (from
> Python Queue class, thread safe) of "events".
>
> - - Rename and remove useless lock in order to simplify the debugging.
>
> - - Do not consider the client/server mode, as they are not ready yet.
>
> - - Rename some files.

File names and class names are heterogenous and sometimes really not
revelant.

> (Concerning logs)
>
> - - Divide the log analysers into a "parsing" part, which returns tests
> results in Python structures (dictionaries, list), and an output part
> which select the pertinent information.

Thanks :)

> - - Modify the HTML output so that we have one html file per test.
> Olena build output is too big to have all results on the same page.

Much lighter.

> - - Update the text summary logger.

:)

> (Host configuration file)
>
> - - Support the notion of vars which are not environnment vars, but just
> values to be replaced elsewhere in the configuration file.  This enables
> some factorizations.
>
> (Tarball configuration file)
>
> - - Support class restrictions for vars (only for vars currently) using
> regular expressions (see previous email on the mailing list).
>
> CVS is here to help us controlling versions, so if you see weird changes
> or if you disagree with some changes, do not hesitate to discuss them,
> we can revert patches!
>
> Remaining work before release 0.2 (in my opinion)
> =====================================
>
> * Remove client/server code.  I think we'd better add it later, when
> vampire fundations will be finalized and intensively tested.  In
> addition, the communication protocol should use TCP stream instead of
> UDP ones, since we cannot afford data loss.

You're right.

> * Uniformize the naming scheme.  Especially class attribute names are
> often inconsistent between files, there are still some french names,
> etc.

> * Cleanup some code.  Some code seems clumsy and should be cleaned.

I agree, there is too much ugly code.

> * The documentation should be cleaned and completed to allow external
> people to use vampire, at least its basic features.
>
> I think I'll have the time to do some work before the end of this
> week-end, but then I will start my internship, and I'll have much less
> time.

Thanks for all your work.

> Please let me know if you think you will have some time to work on
> Vampire, I know that you have many more important things to do.

3 months ago, I told you I wanted to continue to work on Vampire but I
didn't wrote anything till this time. I hope to have time and motivation
to work on it.

--
Maxime Biais