Re: [VM] How to view HTML mail?

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] How to view HTML mail?
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 17:05:27 +0100

Skip Montanaro writes:

> How do I set up VM to properly display HTML mail messages (or hand them off
> to something which can)?  I'm running VM 8.1.93a with GNU Emacs 23.1.1 on
> Mac OS X.  I see a variable, Vm Mime Text/Html Handler, which is set to
> auto-select, but when I attempt to view an HTML mail it says something like
> "inline display by nil failed".

That looks like a bug.  If you can identify the exact error message you get,
I can try and tack it down.

> I see w3m and w3 as
> choices but don't know what either one is or how to install them (does GNU
> Emacs have a package installer like XEmacs?  If so, I couldn't find it.)  I
> don't have lynx.

emacs-w3m is the best choice.  See the Emacswiki page

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ViewMailAndWThreeM

for how to set it up.  (I didn't bother to recompile VM after installing
emacs-w3m, but it worked quite ok nevertheless.)

Cheers,
Uday