Re: [VM] How to view HTML mail?

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: [VM] How to view HTML mail?
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 14:23:30 +0000 (UTC)

Skip Montanaro <address@hidden> writes:

> I'll keep messing around with instances of HTML mail as I
> encounter them to see what I can do.

Hmmm...  I'm having trouble seeing that it does anything other than
simply insert "w3m -dump" output.  I browsed the entire output of
describe-bindings but saw nothing w3m-related.  I see no indication
of an active emacs-w3m minor mode in the mode lines for either the
summary or presentation buffers.  Nothing is displayed in any
alternate fonts to suggest the presence of a link.  When I navigate
to an obvious link, such as the all-too-ubiquitous "Click Here" then
hit the return key it displays VM's usual "Go to message:" prompt
in the minibuffer.  So, I commented out all but the barest VM
essentials in my .emacs file and renamed my .vm file to .vm- and
restarted Emacs.  Nothing changed.  I am visiting an HTML email
now.  The message body looks like "w3m -dump" output.  If I
press 'D' it collapses to a single banner with a red background and
white text which reads "HTML, ISO-8859-1 [Press RETURN to display
text]".  Another 'D' shows the raw MIME content.  One more and I'm
back to the "w3m -dump" output.  There is no background w3m
process running and no subprocess buffer to suggest there's a
process to communicate with.

I poked around in the customization settings and found something
called "mm-inline-text-html-with-w3m-keymap" and set it to t.
That had no effect even after saving for future sessions and
restarting.  (Now, oddly enough, when I try to search for settings
matching "w3m" it no longer turns up and describe-variable doesn't
know about it.

I must be missing something, perhaps some other bit of
customization?

Skip