Re: [VM] Cannot view GMail inbox

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Cannot view GMail inbox
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 07:45:19 +0100

Torstein Krause Johansen writes:

> >> Great, I had to re-start Emacs whenever I mistyped my password :-)
> >
> > Indeed, VM wasn't being kind to wrong passwords.  I have done the change
> > now, which will go into the next release.

Incidentally, the recommended method for handling passwords in 8.2.0 is to
store them in .authoinfo.gpg file.  Please look up "passwords" in the index
of the manual.

The way VM stores passwords currently is insecure.  Anybody who gets an
access to your Emacs session can snoop around and find all your passwords if
they know a bit of elisp.

So, eventually, we will remove password-storing in VM and use standard Emacs
facilities for handling passwords.

Cheers,
Uday