Re: [VM] debugging why emacs / vm becomes non-responsive

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] debugging why emacs / vm becomes non-responsive
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 10:22:48 +0000

Kyle Farrell writes:

> Can auto-save-interval be buffer specific?  If I could limit it to the
> INBOX that would be minimize risk to other buffers.  Meanwhile I'll
> try to reduce my INBOX from 1800 overly large html messages (thanks
> Outlook users!) to something reasonable or consider reading via IMAP.

You can try putting

(make-variable-buffer-local 'auto-save-interval)

in your .emacs file and see if that does the trick.

The growing size of the mail folders is precisely why I have implemented
external messages (formerly called "headers-only" messages).  They are
available for IMAP right now.  In due course, they will be available for
local folders as well via the maildir format.

Cheers,
Uday