Re: [VM] Info node "External Messages"

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Info node "External Messages"
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 07:07:58 +0100

Alan Wehmann writes:

> I tried out some of what is described in Info node "External Messages"
> yesterday.

Hi Alan, I can't tell what you tried from this info node, but the rest of
your message indicates to me that you were using Local Folders.  External
messages are only available for IMAP Folders.  So, I would expect that
whatever you tried from the info node would not have had any effect.

Since you say that you chose to delete the downloaded messages from the
server, the only copies you have now are in the Local Folder.  So, please be
very careful with what you do with them.  They are gone from the server.

My impression is that Thunderbird doesn't really have Local Folders for IMAP
servers.  They are a bad idea.  If I had a choice, I would get rid of them.
But Kyle Jones implemented them and a lot of people use them.  So, it
appears that my hands are tied.

The variable `vm-imap-max-message-size' is also used for downloading
messages into Local Folders but I notice that it wasn't documented in the
info node.  I will fix that.

Cheers,
Uday