Re: [VM] Info node "External Messages"

From: moritzmaxeiner
Subject: Re: [VM] Info node "External Messages"
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 13:08:28 +0200

Uday Reddy writes:
 > I guess you are a "natural scientist" of some form.  Unfortunately, software
 > is not part of nature, it is man-made.  Decisions in software should be made
 > based on what is defined and documented, not how things appear.

Sorry to intervene, but even though that is correct

 > So,
 > "evidence" is practically useless!

this is not a universal conclusion. If it were, then reverse engineering
closed source software would be impossible, because there you do exaxtly that:
You try to look for evidence (either by sniffing, disassembling, etc.) that
the software does a certain thing.

Even for well documented software the conclusion only applies if what
you want to to with it is part of what is documented, which is not always
the case.

Granted, in the context of this discussion (viewmail/thunderbird) the conclusion
does hold but only because both are well documented and what he wants to do
is covered in it.

Bye,

   Moritz