Re: [VM] Threading using subject

From: Robert Marshall
Subject: Re: [VM] Threading using subject
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 21:21:40 +0100

On Wed, 16 May 2012, Uday address@hidden wrote:

> My guess is that the need for thread-using-subject only arises these
> days when we read newsgroups or mailing lists, whose servers often
> munge the mail headers.  Reference threads get broken as a result and
> subject threading can be used to still get back some coherence.  For
> normal email usage, on the other hand, subject threading is rarely
> needed (unless you correspond regularly with somebody that has a bad
> email client.)

I find it useful for automated monthly (and more frequent!) reminders
(you're on such & such email list) where the text is much the same and
you only want to keep one of them. Also regular cron jobs end up by
default together and I rather like that. But, yes, when someone sends me
an email with no subject and it gets threaded with everyone else who
hasn't filled in that field it gets a little frustrating.

Robert
--
La grenouille songe..dans son château d'eau
Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/