Re: [VM] Non-ASCII ISO-8859-1 characters not shown correctly

From: Yoshiharu Kohayakawa
Subject: Re: [VM] Non-ASCII ISO-8859-1 characters not shown correctly
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 20:00:54 -0200

Uday Reddy wrote (on Tuesday, 1 Jan 2013, at 21:18:10 +0000):
 > Yoshiharu Kohayakawa writes:
 >
 > > When I receive a message with non-ascii characters and read it with
 > > VM, the non-ascii characters don't show properly, and I see their
 > > octal code.  A screen shot is available at
 > >
 > >   http://www.ime.usp.br/~yoshi/TMP/VM
 > >
 > > The problem happens in presentation mode with text/plain messages.
 >
 > The first thing to check would be what happens with the default settings.
 > Rename your .vm file to something else, restart Emacs/VM and visit the
 > folder.

Dear Uday, this is embarrassing---this is something I didn't try.

 >          If it works,

...  it does work.

 >                       then you need to narrow down which setting in your .vm
 > file is problematic.  If you are just upgrading from 7.19, then there might
 > have been quite a few changes since then.  Please read through the NEWS file
 > for the list of all the changes and new features.

I'll do that---many thanks.

 > > One more thing: non-ascii characters are also shown in octal in my
 > > summary buffers, when they are in the subject line of the messages.
 >
 > This sounds more serious.  Please check the value of
 > `enable-multibyte-characters' in the Summary buffer.  Its value should be
 > `t'.

I get the following:

====
enable-multibyte-characters is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is t
Local in buffer INBOX Summary; global value is t

  Automatically becomes buffer-local when set in any fashion.
====

I've also posted a comment on what happens if I do

  vm-reply-include-text,

namely, that the octal codes show up.  This was also some .vm setting
problem, i.e., it's fixed if I don't have any .vm.

Many thanks and best wishes for 2013!

Yoshi