Re: [VM] Non-ASCII ISO-8859-1 characters not shown correctly

From: Yoshiharu Kohayakawa
Subject: Re: [VM] Non-ASCII ISO-8859-1 characters not shown correctly
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 21:43:46 -0200

Yoshiharu Kohayakawa wrote (on Tuesday, 1 Jan 2013, at 20:00:54 -0200):
 > Uday Reddy wrote (on Tuesday, 1 Jan 2013, at 21:18:10 +0000):
 >  > Yoshiharu Kohayakawa writes:
 >
 > [...]
 >
 >  > The first thing to check would be what happens with the default settings.
 >  > Rename your .vm file to something else, restart Emacs/VM and visit the
 >  > folder.
 >
 > Dear Uday, this is embarrassing---this is something I didn't try.
 >
 >  >          If it works,
 >
 > ...  it does work.
 >
 >  >                       then you need to narrow down which setting in your
 > .vm
 >  > file is problematic.

Because of the problem of MS email clients with windows1252
charsets, the variable vm-fsfemacs-mule-p was set to nil in my .vm.

Removing this fixed the problem.

 >  > > One more thing: non-ascii characters are also shown in octal in my
 >  > > summary buffers, when they are in the subject line of the messages.
 >  >
 >  > This sounds more serious.  Please check the value of
 >  > `enable-multibyte-characters' in the Summary buffer.  Its value should be
 >  > `t'.
 >
 > I get the following:
 >
 > ====
 > enable-multibyte-characters is a variable defined in `C source code'.
 > Its value is t
 > Local in buffer INBOX Summary; global value is t
 >
 >   Automatically becomes buffer-local when set in any fashion.
 > ====

This subject line problem in Summary buffer is also fixed now.

However, this fix for the Summary buffer only works for plain text
messages.  For a message sent in rich text mode, the subject line
shows the octal codes.

 > I've also posted a comment on what happens if I do
 >
 >   vm-reply-include-text,
 >
 > namely, that the octal codes show up.  This was also some .vm setting
 > problem, i.e., it's fixed if I don't have any .vm.

Leaving vm-fsfemacs-mule-p as t, I don't have this problem any
longer.

Thanks and best, Yoshi