Re: [VM] Problem running vm-8.09 / XEmacs 21.1.3 Solaris SPARC

From: John Stoffel
Subject: Re: [VM] Problem running vm-8.09 / XEmacs 21.1.3 Solaris SPARC
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 19:34:33 -0400

JACKSON> A h/w failure resulted in a mail semi-outage.  A secondary
JACKSON> spool caught mail that didn't hit primary, but overlaps with
JACKSON> deleted mail etc. etc.

Bummers.  HW failures are a great way of showing you where you forgot
to do proper redundancy.  God knows I've been bitten before too.

JACKSON> Hence the goal posted.  Installing a compiler to compile the
JACKSON> latest XEmacs to run the lasted VM in to sort the mailspool
JACKSON> didn't strike me at the time as the fastest way to get the
JACKSON> mail sorted.  I didn't care if XEmacs 21.1.3 wasn't the
JACKSON> latest and greatest, or for that matter, vm 8.09.  Googling
JACKSON> sort mbox mail file produced similar queries for similar
JACKSON> reasons for which someone posted vm as the solution.  That's
JACKSON> why I downloaded a pre-compiled binary, rather than install
JACKSON> gcc and compile XEmacs from source.  Sorting the mail is my
JACKSON> goal rather than equipping myself with compilers and latest
JACKSON> Emacs-based text editor.

Maybe it would be better to use procmail to filter your emails,
dumping those that were seen already, and forwarding back to the
primary spool those you haven't seen?

Obviously, you'd run this on the primary, pulling from the secondary,
to merge the mailspools.

  http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~thurston/ua/pm-tips.html#kill_duplicate_messages

John