Re: [VM] vm & bbdb

From: Robert Marshall
Subject: Re: [VM] vm & bbdb
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2016 16:11:50 +0100

On Wed, Apr 06 2016, Michael <address@hidden> wrote:

> * Uday Reddy <address@hidden> [2016-04-07 04:01:28 +0100]:
>
>> Michael writes:
>>
>> > I am trying to start vm and I get this error:
>> > Required feature 'bbdb-autoloads' was not provided
>> >
>> > Is this a problem with vm or bbdb?
>> > I am running Debian Testing, vm-8.2.0b, and bbdb v3
>>
>> Most likely a problem with bbdb or your customizations. VM itself doesn't
>> know anything about bbdb.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Uday
>
> Ok, thanks Uday.
> This leads to another question.
> With the newer vm and bbdb, what is required for bbdb to work with vm?
> When I use gnus, bbdb works fine, so I don't know what different
> customization to use for vm.
> I've tried to use what I find via google, but obviously have something
> wrong.

Your initial post suggests that you have a require of bbdb-autoloads, that
doesn't exist in bbdb 3. I have

(bbdb-initialize 'vm 'message 'gnus)

And I think that is more or less it!

Though I added

(setq bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p '(query . create))
;; Make sure we look at every address in a message and not only the
;; first one
(setq bbdb-message-all-addresses t)
;; use ; on a message to invoke bbdb interactively
(add-hook
 'vm-summary-mode-hook
 (lambda ()
   (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map (kbd ";") 'bbdb-mua-edit-field)))

to get some things back from what I was used to with bbdb 2

You might need to ensure that when you built bbdb, it found and built the
vm interface code.

Robert
--
Robert Marshall               twitter: @rajm