vile

Re: scrolling/paging question

From: Brendan O'Dea
Subject: Re: scrolling/paging question
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 12:58:58 +1100

On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 07:00:04PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 04:28:33PM +0000, Wayne wrote:
>> I can use move-window-down/move-window-up with a count but it still
>> seems in some cases, which I don't quite fully understand yet, the
>> cursor is positioned back at the start of the line.
>
>That's done in getgoal -- offhand, I think the cursor lands on
>a short/empty line, which overrides the initial goal.

I'd be curious to see a case where that happened.  It seems to pretty
tenaciously hang onto the goal column in my tests.

For example: 9.8u, the sequence

  :help
  /scroll through

will place the cursor at 6,29.

Holding down ^E will scroll the window, sticking to column 29 on any line with
at least that many columns.  The cursor moves to the left for shorter lines,
but returns to the goal column in longer lines.

This seemed to work fine using multiple combinations of ^E and ^Y, j and k,
with or without prefix arguments.

--bod