vile

Re: scrolling/paging question

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: scrolling/paging question
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2021 22:34:22 -0500

brendan wrote:
 > On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 07:00:04PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
 > >On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 04:28:33PM +0000, Wayne wrote:
 > >> I can use move-window-down/move-window-up with a count but it still
 > >> seems in some cases, which I don't quite fully understand yet, the
 > >> cursor is positioned back at the start of the line.
 > >
 > >That's done in getgoal -- offhand, I think the cursor lands on
 > >a short/empty line, which overrides the initial goal.
 >
 > I'd be curious to see a case where that happened.  It seems to pretty
 > tenaciously hang onto the goal column in my tests.

I agree.  My guess is that the goal changes where you'd expect it to,
i.e., when you mistakenly hit Enter instead of 'j', or something like
that.  A way to return to a previous goal might be handy -- perhaps a
new mark could be created, which would record the last goal non-zero
and non-eol goal.

paul
paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 18.3 degrees)