vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] dev language for vrs

From: Eric Altendorf
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] dev language for vrs
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 10:41:20 -0700

On Sunday 14 July 2002 16:21, Ian Fung wrote:
> so the million dollar question: what do we write vrs in?

I'm actually pretty open to different options.  Java and C# are both
good languages.  Java I know (good); C# I'm familiar with but have
never coded (good for me, since if we use C# I'll learn something new
:-).  Also C# is maybe a defacto standard for DotGNU stuff, so
there's something to be said for that too.

Of course, if we have GW APIs for different languages, it would make
it pretty easy to write parts of the VRS in different languages,
since they'll talk to each other via GW anyway.  Perhaps we'll want
to write most of the system in C#, but the core of the RM in C or C++
for efficiency; and perhaps we'll want to write some high-level
diagnostic system utilities in a scripting language like Perl.

Is that a correct view of the GW language API's, Chris?

eric

--
"First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.
 Then they fight you.  And then you win."             -Gandhi