vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] GDEE Message Buffer Implementation (Was Re: where

From: Eric Altendorf
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] GDEE Message Buffer Implementation (Was Re: where are we at?)
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 15:22:14 -0800

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 09:43, Chris Smith wrote:
> Note that passing the ContentType to getChunk is just for
> validation purposes, it is an optional value -> see the C
> implementation.  This might be a really stupid idea, but allows
> data for a particular 'ID' to be encoded in several formats, which
> will probably be required somewhere!

OK...my only issue with the message implementation you've proposed is
this deal with occurrances...  The first thing that struck me was the
slightly nonintuitive aspect to it -- what happens when you ask for a
chunk by ID which has multiple occurrances biut don't specify the
occurrance?

Well, that's not a big deal.  More generally, though ... It seems to
me that since you can send multiple messages, each message can have
multiple chunks, and if you're using a structured data payload (eg
XML) you can have multiple portions of data within a single chunk ...
that it is a bit of overkill (and overly complex) to add the concept
of reoccurring chunks.

But you probably had some particular issue in mind, for which this
would be the best solution.  Share that and I might change my mind.
:-)

eric

--
"First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.
 Then they fight you.  And then you win."             -Gandhi