websec-users

Re: Setting up email

From: Jean-Marc Liotier
Subject: Re: Setting up email
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:18:45 +0200

Jay Strauss wrote:

> I have been on numerous boxes (including my own) where sendmail is not
> configured.  I have no idea about how to configure sendmail, but I've
> read it's a pain.

Don't worry you don't have to configure Sendmail nor install it ! A long
time ago Sendmail used to be the only serious game in town, so most
mailers that entered the market afterwards had to emulating the de facto
standard. Nowadays, pretty much all mailers support that emulation which
is called the Sendmail interface. For example I use Postfix, it provides
that and there is a /usr/sbin/sendmail on my system. You most likely
also do.