www-pt-br-general

Re: Name for the language in translation lists

From: Cassiano dos Santos
Subject: Re: Name for the language in translation lists
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 08:02:30 -0300

My suggestion is that we keep only "português" as Wikipedia do in their articles.

The Portuguese language was unified for almost all if not all Portuguese language spoken countries with the "Portuguese Language Orthographic Agreement of 1990" (https://en.wikipedia.or/wiki/Portuguese_Language_Orthographic_Agreement_of_1990).

This agreement is being adopted by the countries step by step, but in Brazil it was adopted definitively in January, 2016.

"In Brazil, the Portuguese Language Orthographic Agreement of 1990 was in effect, on a transitional basis, from January 1, 2009 to December 31, 2015. From January 1, 2016, the agreement entered into force definitively and mandatory" (https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acordo_Ortogr%C3%A1fico_de_1990#Brasil, free translation of the Wikipedia Portuguese article).

So, as I know by now Portugal Portuguese is not adopting the agreement, at least in practice.

I think that, in the future, we could unify the Portuguese translation in one integrated team for all Portuguese spoken language countries. But by now I suggest that we keep only "português" for our translations in Brazil.

Best regards,
Cassiano R. N. dos Santos