www-ru-list

[www-ru-list] Fw: Summary/stats for 2009

From: Anatoly A. Kazantsev
Subject: [www-ru-list] Fw: Summary/stats for 2009
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 01:10:51 +0600

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 13:30:33 +0200
From: Yavor Doganov <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Cc: Karl Berry <address@hidden>, Rob Myers <address@hidden>
Subject: Summary/stats for 2009

2009 was a very calm year, with little progress made overall.  The
team activity was low, for lots of teams effectively zero.  I got
distracted by other projects (some of them -- like maintenance of the
GNUstep stack in Debian -- rather exhausting), non-projects (a family
disaster) and was (sigh, again :-() unable to devote my full time as I
should.  We're still moving forward, though.  Slowly, but moving.

New translations
================

The table below contains a list of important new translations
(counting only the directories /distros, /gnu, /licenses and
/philosophy).  Mistakes are likely.

+-----+-----+------------+
|No.  |Code |Language    |
+-----+-----+------------+
| 16  |fa   |Persian     |
+-----+-----+------------+
| 14  |ar   |Arabic      |
+-----+-----+------------+
| 9   |es   |Spanish     |
+-----+-----+------------+
| 8   |fr   |French      |
+-----+-----+------------+
| 6   |bg   |Bulgarian   |
+-----+-----+------------+
| 5   |ca   |Catalan     |
+-----+-----+------------+
| 5   |ml   |Malayalam   |
+-----+-----+------------+
| 3   |sk   |Slovak *    |
+-----+-----+------------+
| 1   |it   |Italian     |
+-----+-----+------------+
| 1   |pt-br|Brazilian   |
|     |     |Portuguese *|
+-----+-----+------------+
| 1   |ru   |Russian     |
+-----+-----+------------+
| 1   |sr   |Serbian     |
+-----+-----+------------+

70 total new translated articles (vs. 107 in 2008)

The items with asterisk (*) indicate that the translation(s) were
reviewed and installed via the web-translators' route -- either
because there was no team (and/or the establishment of the team was in
progress) or because the existing team was non-functional.

RT
==

256 non-junk requests sent to address@hidden were resolved in
2009 (vs. 168 in 2008).  Despite the higher number, the queue was
neglected for long periods, unfortunately.  Many thanks to those
webmasters who helped with cleaning the spam, which was much more than
any other year.

There are currently 48 open tickets, which is a relatively large
number.  The web-translators staff is still unchanged (Anatoly
Kazantsev, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete Dutra and yours truly) and
we'd really appreciate a helping hand.  The next GNUN release will
contain (in the web-trans manual) complete instructions how to manage
the queue, forward bugs, install new translations, do mass changes
with minimal disruption, etc.  (sorry I can't give ETA for that, but I
don't expect it to happen before February).

Number          Owner
---------------------------------
180             yavor   (Yavor)
 63             jimcrow (Anatoly)
 13             leandro (Leandro)
---------------------------------
256 total

New and reformed teams
======================

New teams
~~~~~~~~~
One new team this time (vs. 0 in 2008):

* Slovak (~6 million speakers)

Reformed teams
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Minimal changes.

* Greek: Orphaned at the beginning of the year, this team is now
  active thanks to the new co-ordinator Georgios Zarkadas.

* French: The team is technically orphaned, but many thanks to Cédric
  for keeping up the work.

There were several unsuccessful attempts to form or resurrect a team:

Norwegian Nynorsk, Marathi, Estonian, Croatian, Greek (2 times; 2nd
attempt successful), Brazilian Portuguese (several times; I stopped
counting them), Swahili.

It is disturbing that we still have no solution for the
Portuguese/Brazilian Portuguese teams.  Lots of people continue to
volunteer, but it seems they're scared away when they realize the
amount of work involved.

PO files count & migration plan
===============================

There are roughly 1890 total translations now, of which 683 maintained
as .po files (i.e. 36% now vs. 20% at the end of 2008).  It is quite
clear that we won't reach 100% in June 2010 as initially planned, but
that's not a disaster.  I hope to start working on the GNUN support
for Multiviews some time this year, and I think it's fair to settle on
75% completeness to perform the switch, whenever that happens.

Happy GNU year, and many thanks for working on gnu.org translations.

(I see nothing secret in this message, so if you feel it might be
interesting to translators who are not subscribed to the list, you may
of course forward it).